Monday, May 17, 2010

Picking Up An Old Story.

A few days ago I decided to start picking up an old story that I had started writing almost two years ago. It started as a novel version of the Book of Revelation (with some added fantasy elements). But it kind of escalated into something different and new.

The story followed four main characters:

1. Jason: The original Main Character (MC). A shy, artistic college freshman..

2. Derek: Jason's roommate/best friend from childhood. He's extremely sports oriented and competitive.

3. Susan: Single mother of a six week old son named Sam.

4. Melvin: Extraordinarily intelligent metrosexual astronaut.


Each of the four characters had surprisingly different views on God. They come together after the beginning of the rapture, and the story was set to take them through the entire thing and bring them close and bring them to love each other. Then they go to Heaven and you get to watch them as they see God and meet God and learn more and more about Him. To me, it's beautiful because you get to watch an extraordinarily narrow view of God transform into a view of Him that is broad and all-encompassing. You get to see a 2D or 3D version of the God of the universe turn into a view of the God of the universe as He is! With INFINITE dimensions! With knowledge that surpasses all understanding (like Derek learns!), with control over nature and the ability to step over the line of the natural world (like Melvin learns!), with beautiful healing powers and an extraordinary personal nature (like Susan learns!), and finally, with a safety that surpasses all other things (like Jason learns!).

It's beautiful, because the lives of these four people leaves them with four separate views of God, and God is the one who takes these views and says "Now watch this!" and absolutely astounds them.

I love it, because in writing it, I began to give myself permission to see God in a new light for myself. So now, knowing that I know Him better, I wonder if the story will be exponentially better than it would've been. My hope and prayer for this story is that if I ever finish it, that it could help someone somewhere see God in a  new way.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Mindblowing story idea! I hope you finish it! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you honestly expect me to blog more. Comment. Trust me.