Saturday, May 1, 2010

Learning to Walk

I am sitting in a line that seems to stretch for miles. I'm one of few sitting down. Everyone seems so much bigger and stronger and better than I am. I can see the shadow of what I know to be God walking amongst the people and being with them, and I want Him. I want Him to be here with me.

He turns and walks in my direction. His shadow surrounds me on all sides. His hands tenderly reach around me and pick me up. My feet dangle in the air and I kick them, squealing joyfully. He sets me down on my feet, and my hands wrap themselves around His fingers. I wobble, trying hard to keep from falling. My feet aren't stable, but I cautiously try to take a step. I can hear Him encouraging me, but my focus is on taking my next step. I stumble, and start to fall, but before I can hit the ground His hands are back around me and He lifts me up and puts me back on the ground. I take one step, then another, focusing carefully on each step.

Finally, I trip and fall. I land on my hands and knees. I feel defeated for a moment, then I am lifted back into His loving arms. He hugs me, and whispers "Good job, baby girl" into my ear. He sets me on His lap and offers me a drink. His hand is behind me, supporting my back and keeping me from falling backward. He holds the cup up to my mouth and lets me get a drink of the cool water. I put my hands around the cup, wanting more than anything to do what my daddy does. My fingers feel small compared to His big fingers. I let go of the cup and lay back onto His chest. I close my eyes, and I can hear His heartbeat. I drift off into sleep, feeling His warmth and safety surround me.

Picture taken from here.
I had this day-dream type thing during worship at the SWORD meeting last night. I've felt just like that all week. In many ways, I feel like just a baby with God. I feel like I'm just learning how to do all these things, how to spend real time in prayer with God, how to study His word, how to reach out to people, even how to love. It feels new. I feel like I take more falls than I do steps.

But at the same time, I feel safe. I feel loved. I want to learn to walk.

Not sure what else to say, except this:

"When you pass through the waters,
       I will be with you;
       and when you pass through the rivers,
       they will not sweep over you.
       When you walk through the fire,
       you will not be burned;
       the flames will not set you ablaze." -

2 comments:

  1. Why did you not want to post this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was just a little too personal for my tastes. I know it's my blog, but still.

    ReplyDelete

If you honestly expect me to blog more. Comment. Trust me.