Saturday, May 29, 2010

People Are Quirky Little Things, Aren't They?

Four days to go, and reality has yet to set in. It probably never will. I probably will be walking the streets of Honduras still thinking I'm back in Bethpage.

I never realized just how much I like it here until now. I was driving home last night, and looking around (mostly imagining it because it was dark), and I just kept thinking to myself, "Man, it sure it pretty here." Then again, there is beauty everywhere.  Isn't that a cool testimony to the glory of our God? The desert, the plains, the mountains, the deciduous forests, the sea, the coniferous forests (there's a difference, look it up), the rainforests, the arctic, the moon, the stars, and all those other neat space pictures we get have the ability to take our breath away.




Beautiful, isn't it?


okay.
change of plans.
It's been about 45 minutes since I wrote that particular tidbit of the blog, and now I'm gonna write about something completely different.

This is my blog so I reserve the right to be spastic and change direction at will.

Yesterday, it was brought to my attention that I own a large number of objects that I have deemed "quirky," objects that are functional, but that need a little bit of extra attention to work.

For example:
In Mom's shower, hot is cold and cold is hot. The knob thing is backwards.
My bedroom stereo doesn't always work.. it likes to choose it's own music.


and then there is Aidan the truck. He is in a league of its own as far as quirks go. For example...
1. The gearshift is off a little. All of the gears are actually a little to the right of their matching symbols.
2. The passenger door gets stuck sometimes and is hard to close or open.
3. The cd part of the stereo doesn't work. Except some days.
4. The middle seat is supposed to fold down for cupholders, and it does, provided that you put excessive pressure on the base of the seat.
5. The windshield wipers leave one long line of water right through the middle. (This has nothing to do with the blade, because it has done this with every pair we've had.)
6. There is this screw thing that holds the lock for the triangular window, and it shakes and makes it sound like the door (see #2) is open.
7. The passenger window rolls up slower than the driver window. It's automatic!
8. Sometimes the starter likes to keep the key and I have to turn the truck back on and then off to get it to let go of it.

If you spend any sort of time with me, you'd know just how much I *love* my truck truck. I talk to him and I say goodbye to him when I leave the house, and I sometimes say "Thanks for the ride, Aidan old pal!"



I knew all about my trucks quirks, but I never really paid any attention to them until yesterday when Kelsea was in my truck and she got to experience all of these things for the first time. Some people (not Kelsea.. just people) would want a different car. But I love my truck. I love my truck. I cannot imagine driving (routinely) another car. He is my truck truck. He's only failed me once (his battery died and he had to get a new one!).

People are like my truck a lot of the time.

I think of myself. It's no secret that I am "quirky" too. There are things about me that don't entirely work right.. they work, but just need a little extra attention sometimes. That is the beauty of grace. (Look! Beauty. See? It all comes full circle.) Even though we need a little extra attention sometimes, we're accepted and covered by grace. We don't have to work completely perfectly. My truck isn't perfect, but it gets me where I need to go.

 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. ~Romans 5:2


We are covered by His grace! His grace that accepts our flaws and shortcomings, and still manages to use us for His good!

Of course, I feel like it's important to note that this doesn't mean we can get out of needed maintenance. My truck still needs oil changes and tire rotations and a few months ago they had to replace some important belt in it. God still works on us, fine tuning our engines until we run smoothly.

Beautiful, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. I love your metaphors.

    And also, the knob in my shower is backwards, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It amazes me that you still tied in beauty even after you went in a different direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one! It was really good. And I totally agree, we are all quirky in our ways. And true love (like God's grace) doesn't see the quirks. In marriage (or any relationship), those who can overlook and even come to love the quirks can make it for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete

If you honestly expect me to blog more. Comment. Trust me.