Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Comprehending An Incomprehensible God.

Last night, Jonathan was talking about how we simply cannot comprehend God. It's simply impossible for us, in our finite bodies, to understand God, the infinite. He was so very, very right.

But it made me wonder.. what do you do with that? Because, at least for me, the knowledge that He is incomprehensible is coupled, intertwined, mingled with the burning desire to understand Him, to know Him, to stand there with Him.

We talked about Exodus 33:20, which says "And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live." (KJV)

We can't even stand to see Him. He's that glorious. That wonderful. That beautiful. That holy. That PERFECT. So perfect, wonderful, beautiful, glorious, holy that if we were to catch even the slightest glimpse of Him, we would DIE. 

It would absolutely be worth it. Imagine, your very last sight on Earth is God in His full glory. If you know the story, you know that Moses got to see the backside of God as He passed by. You would also know that Moses was forever changed by that experience. By that moment. The Bible says that His first (and only) reaction was worship. He fell on his face and worshiped God. I think it is one of the most beautiful moments of the Bible. The Bible says that he stayed on that mountain for 40 days, and that when he came down from the mountain, his face was shining, and Moses didn't know about it. The rest of Moses's life, he wore a veil over his face because the people couldn't look at him anymore. 

Doesn't that just make you want to KNOW HIM? to know who God is? I don't know about you, but that's what it does to me. It makes me want to run to Him and say to Him "Show me! Oh please, oh please, show me! I want to know too. I want to see!" 

As we go to church tonight, I hope and pray that we have a desire to see His glory. I want to see it. 

1 comment:

  1. Hmm...I think I remember a story in the Book of Mormon about God revealing himself to someone. It was a pretty cool story. If I'm remembering it correctly, anyway. If I'm not, it was a story about something completely not related to this blog post, which would make this comment completely pointless.

    ReplyDelete

If you honestly expect me to blog more. Comment. Trust me.