Friday, June 11, 2010

We're All Just Kind of Winging It.

.So, in case you aren't aware, um, I've been put in charge of teaching two five year olds. And to be completely honest, most of the time I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. We're learning math and reading. As we've been going about this whole process, we've gotten frustrated with each other. We've had tantrums. We've had sulking. We've had fighting. We've had stalling.


We've also had breakthroughs and cheerios and spiderman workbooks. We've learned how to count and how to add. We've learned how to do fist bumps and how to celebrate a job well done. We've learned that most of the time it's a good idea to take a break and go to the park and climb trees and swing from the football goal and play, except sometimes, when we actually need to finish our work.

And we're all just sort of winging it. 

Angel and Jesus don't really have any idea how to learn math, and I don't really have any idea how to teach math. But we're making it. We're figuring things out.

I was going to post a blog earlier about the game Snake. I have it on my phone, and I've been playing it in my spare time. I was going to post about how it feels like life. We start of small and have to avoid the obstacles and not run into ourselves while trying to find little nuggets to help us grow.

And then I had another important realization. We only play once, and we don't get "game over" when we run into a wall or tangle ourselves into a big knot.

Sometimes life and faith are a lot like Snake and teaching two five yr olds. We have no idea what we're doing, just figuring things out as we go along. Luckily, we have people who've already been there to tell us how they made it through and how they once got really long and got really tangled up and how it took forever to get undone or how math is best done with edible rewards.

2 comments:

  1. I always feel like you won't be able to top your last metaphor, but then you do. I have to be honest, though...I don't know if there will be a way to top tying the game Snake into life and faith. The pressure is on, Em. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Math is better with edible rewards. If I got chocolate soft serve every time I got an answer right I would be a lot better at math. I would also be a lot fatter but hey it would be worth it. I would also like to know how you are going about teaching math in spanish to tiny people.

    ReplyDelete

If you honestly expect me to blog more. Comment. Trust me.