Sunday, June 6, 2010

A few quick things:

1. Bob and Joyce should give parenting lessons. Seriously. We took all ten of the kids to church and to a restaurant, and their behavior is astonishing. All ten of them sat there quietly (they weren't silent, but they weren't loud by any means) and ate their food without fighting or bickering or anything. Then after they finished, the ran off to the playground. All of them are like that. These kids just listen really well. Mike asked Bob about it, and Bob simply said "I can only attribute it to the Word. These kids are in the Word every day, and that is what makes all the difference."

2. Not being able to speak Spanish might be the death of me. I am prone to have casual conversations with strangers, and not being able to do so really is starting to bother me. I was waiting on Pedro to come out of the bathroom, and one of the ladies (I hate that I didn't get her name) who worked there asked me something. It really bothered me that I didn't know what she said. I think she asked me about Pedro, but I have NO IDEA. I'm getting to the point where I can understand some of what the kids say, but that's it. Anyone else is basically hopeless.

3. Denominations are becoming less and less important to me as time goes on. The church I went to today was just a church for missionaries. Lots of different ones from around San Pedro Sula. It doesn't matter if you consider yourself to be Episcopalian, Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, Protestant, Catholic, Pentecostal... whatever.. when you are truly coming together to worship God. Worship has nothing to do with us, and everything to do with who created us. So the more fantastic people I meet who ascribe themselves to different denominations, the more I find that God's people are simply God's people.

4. When I get back, I will sleep forever. I am so ridiculously tired.


Again, nothing particularly awe-inspiring, just some thoughts about some girl in some country helping some kids in order to serve one really awesome God.

Pedro had so much fun doing this. He's always intensely focused.

3 comments:

  1. You rock! Made me smile. Love the pic. I can see how focused he really is! Really funny to think of you not being able to talk to people. I can see how that would drive you crazy.

    Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your kiddies are amazing! Now you know what it feels like to be a parent. Also this just proves what I tell people all the time about kids when they try and discourage me and tell they are awful and I just keep telling people it's not the kids it's the parents. I'm sorry you can't speak any spanish. Just use some wild hand jester to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just say "Puedo usar el sacapuntas?" every time someone talks to you in Spanish. That's...pretty much the only sentence I took away from six years of Spanish classes. "Can I use the pencil sharpener?" Clearly, I went through a lot of pencils.

    And Pedro is so cute. SO. CUTE.

    ReplyDelete

If you honestly expect me to blog more. Comment. Trust me.