Saturday, February 27, 2010

Your Eyes?

The song "Give Me Your Eyes" has been on my heart for the last couple days. (If you don't know the song, click here to give it a listen.) When I get close to people, I want to understand how they think, how they process things, how they deal with life. As I get closer to God, knowing that He is whom I strive to be like, seeing things the way He does becomes more and more important. So the prayer of my heart has been "Give me Your eyes, let me see things the way You do, let me be more like You." It's how I've been feeling every morning when I wake up, and today, I feel like I saw something through His eyes.


We were on our way home from Hendersonville, and I see this man. He looked to be in his early 40s. He was tall and kind of lanky. He had a ginormous backpack with a sleeping bag hanging out the back. He was carrying two Wal-Mart sacks filled with some groceries. There was a chip bag in the side pocket of his backpack, and his beard was really scruffy and had bits of gray in it. He was walking somewhere and crossing traffic when I was watching him. I don't know where he was going or why he had that backpack, but something deep in my gut said that he was homeless. I felt an intense love and compassion for him, and I didn't even know why. I knew nothing about him, aside from what I could see. I knew that God loved this man a lot and I felt so blessed to spend just one moment seeing things in a new light.

I pray that someday I'll be in a position to do something about things like this. I pray that I'll be able to do more than just pray for a person (even though I will definitely still be praying!!). I pray that God will use me to fill needs.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I love the way you think...actually, like Jesus does, I beleive He feels that same love and compassion for people that you feel and I love that about you.

    ReplyDelete

If you honestly expect me to blog more. Comment. Trust me.