Monday, February 15, 2010

I wonder...

Some days, I have to wonder if a few days before Pentecost, the disciples were sitting around on the floor eating bread, and one of them (I imagine Thomas, don't ask me why.) says the Ancient Hebrew equivalent of "Duuuuude. I think something HUGE is gonna go down soon." I wonder if they just knew deep down in their bones that their lives were about to be irrevocably changed. I wonder if the thought made them terribly excited or if it made them sick to their stomachs with fear. I wonder if they tried to go into denial, and pretend like the feeling wasn't there, like they didn't know that they had just spent the last 3 years of their lives walking around with the Creator of the universe in the flesh. I wonder if they pondered what this was going to mean for them and their families and even society. I wonder if they thought they were going to die. I wonder if they questioned their sanity. I wonder if they thought to themselves "how could I have been so stupid, to follow that man?"


I wonder what was going through each of their minds when "they were all with one accord in one place" (Acts 2:1). I wonder what Peter thought when he went to sleep that night. I wonder if he could even sleep that night. I wonder what he thought after they told him 3,000 people had been saved after he preached. I wonder if he was so filled with joy, he could hardly breathe. I wonder if he wondered how everyone had heard it in their language. I wondered if he was there, praying and preaching, when he looks and thinks "That man is Greek...I don't speak Greek, how is this happening?" I wonder what they wondered.

That's all I've really got for now. Just a lot of questions and no answers.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Em. Acts 1:4,5,8 Jesus tells them a little of what would happen. Also, if you remember our conv. from camp, there are places in the 4 gospels, mainly in John, where Jesus told them some of what the Holy Ghost was all about. Also, Mark 16:17 says that they would speak in new tongues. So, hopefully that answers some of your questions, which ones I will leave for you to figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You contemplate far deeper things than I do. Just an observation.

    ReplyDelete

If you honestly expect me to blog more. Comment. Trust me.