Sunday, January 31, 2010

Notes From Warmth In Winter 2010: Going The Distance.

 Half of it, at least. In case you couldn't tell from the last post, I thought I had missed it. My church had officially cancelled the trip for our youth, but that clearly wasn't enough to keep me away. My friend Sara had stayed the night with me, and she said that her dad was plenty willing to drive us to murfreesboro for the convention center. This was a very important piece of the puzzle to the "How Can Emily Get to WIW 2010?" puzzle.

After that, it simply became a matter of setting up the right details. This I am no stranger to. Before I could drive, I would have to find my own ways to get into town every Wednesday night after church. On days where I had to stay in town after school, I would develop ridiculously complicated plans on how to get there and who I was going to stay with and whatnot. These plans failed a grand total of twice. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. This time was different. It was an overnight stay, there are lots of complicated "Safe Sanctuary" rules to follow (presumably so I don't end up sleeping on the street with new hobo druggie friends), and it's an hour and a half away from my house during the Nashville Snowpocalypse. Plus, my cell phone was completely down. It won't charge. It is right now, but that was by random chance and I haven't moved my elbow in....53 minutes now.  That meant that I had no phone book in which to get in contact with the people who were AT the event.

In the end, I worked out with Mr. Gavin Richardson, youth pastor of HFUMC, and a friend of mine, found me a hotel room with his group, and I was on my way! Armed with a debit card and my suitcase for half of WIW 2010: Going the Distance!

Life is beautiful.

I arrive at the event after being driven a total of 2 hours (not counting the 10 minute stop to get some poor girl out of the grass.) We had arrived. I was in pure bliss. We got settled into our hotel room (which was, um, AMAZING, thanks Gav!) and went to workshops. The first we chose was "Pray With Africa" which showed a video and reminded me TONS of where I am supposed to be and what I'm trying so hard to work for, something that the public educational system has driven me from. The next was one by Gavin, a very spontaneous workshop (remember? Nashville Snowpocalypse), on how our lives online need to be a reflection of our passions. And something about the printing press and how Gavin chopped his thumb off. It reminded me of exactly why I don't have a facebook anymore (I promise I will someday blog that!! I promisee!!). Facebook took me from my passion and sapped me of time. Not good at all. But, yet, I find it easy to waste time on the internet still. For example, I have officially been sitting here with my elbow on my cell phone cord for an hour....61 minutes now. It's so easy for me to waste my time. Time that could ultimately be used doing more productive things. Like learning. Or serving. Or watching all the episodes of House stored on my DVR (kidding). Or praying. Ya know, stuff that might actually mean something someday.

The next thing was an almost 3 hours of free time. Which was pretty much uneventful. Sorry to say. Met some nice people. Re-met some other nice people. (Including the set of quadruplets whose youth group asked me to pick out which four were the quads, and didn't believe me when I guessed them all right. They remembered me!!) In that free time, I came in contact with the group that came to hear me give my testimony at Mt. Olive UMC a few weeks ago. But other than just meeting people, nothing eventful happened.

Sessions were next. I won't lie, I was ridiculously excited. I was pretty much bouncing up and down. Worship here has always been something that I've loved and cherished. But last year, I was in a horrible "low" of my life, and so many things have happened since then that Warmth In Winter became my "control" group. If I could come here, to this event, and feel something like I didn't last year, then I really had changed!! Then it was really worth all of the mental turmoil I went through. I often describe myself in that period I was going through (all eight months of it) as being dead. sleepwalking. comatose. apathetic. And a number of other words synonymous with the above. It was no coincidence, I don't think, that the first song that P.O.R. played was "Alive".

Loudly, I sing
Loudly, I live
Giving You all I have to give,
Until the world knows the Love that's made me so alive
I'm alive, I'm alive! 
 
That's how I felt. Like I was alive again. B-e-a-utiful. That was all the proof I needed. 
 
(Side Note: 79 minutes of sitting here with my elbow on my phone charger.)
 
 I can't remember much else about the service, except that the preacher, Rev. Doc. Brenda Salter-McNeil, was absolutely AMAZZZZZZZING. I loved her and the way she preaches. Kinda loud and in your face, but not insulting at the same time. Plus she had a cool accent. There was one point where she looks at us and says "Come on, that was the PERFECT spot for an Amen!" Just awesome.

Service ended and Sara and I went to bed and before we knew it, it was time for the closing service. One of the coolest things I've ever experienced HAS to be the entire group saying the Lord's prayer all at once. Just amazing. The whole experience is always amazingly connected. Connected to each other. Connected to God. Connected. 
 
The next song that I heard that really stood out was "At The Cross" 
At the cross,
At the cross,
where there's room for me
at the cross
at the cross
I am finally free.
I can't really explain to you what about that spoke to me. It just did. All in all, a beautiful weekend. :) 
 
84 minutes total. 62 text messages. Lol 

3 comments:

  1. 62 text messages? Good Lord, it's amazing your thumb hasn't fallen off. I'm so glad you found a way to get there. I know how much the weekend means to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! I didn't text them all back. Most were from twitter. Most of them got deleted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad i could help you get there... or stay there. you were a very easy adoptive youth for our group &:~D

    ReplyDelete

If you honestly expect me to blog more. Comment. Trust me.