Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Widow's Mite Orphanage

This summer, I will be spending 35 days in San Pedro Sula, Honduras helping two missionaries care for 10 children, between the ages of 5 and 16. These kids were rescued from a horribly abusive situation.

These kids. 

This whole thing technically began in May(ish). Whenever the church retreat was. The preacher, Rosemary Brown preached a LOT about finding our calling. So I started searching and seeking, and God showed me that my calling was to "help the orphan and the widow in their distress."



Fast forward to about a month or so ago.

I'd been thinking about my summer plans and whatnot, and God kept pushing me to talk to Mike Sawyer about Widow's Mite. I knew that there was an orphanage somewhere that he was sort of kind of somehow involved in through that one thing we did other stuff with and pay for and something. Yeah, it was that thought out. One day after church (I don't think it was by my own free will, but that's how these things go), I went up and talked to him about it. Kind of joking, "Yeah, I'd love to go there for the summer!"

The next thing he said was "Emily, let me make some phone calls. I'll send you an email later in the week."

AND IT CAME.

The email essentially said "Pick the dates and we'll start to work on fund-raising."

It's amazing what happens when you listen to the God of the universe.

Mike put me in contact with Bob Coder, who introduced me to 10 wonderful children:
Jesus, age 5. 

Karen, age 9


Cesar, age 7

Fabiola, age 12 
(the one in yellow, leading prayer!) 


Pedro, age 5
(Pedro has a limited function in his right side, which is from blunt force trauma to his skull that limits his brain's ability to get instructions to that side. The cast helped give him function in that leg that he never had before!) 


Angel (age 5) 


Gershon, age 16 and Mauricio, age 10

Rosa, age 

Antonio (on right!), age 9


For the record, it took me FOREVER to locate all these pictures. Just sayin'. They're all just so great, and I am so blessed and privileged to be able to spend just a month down there with these beautiful children of God. 


But here's the thing. 

It's not exactly "cheap," especially when, um, all the money has to be paid pre-departure. This is what I'm asking of all of you! I will be gone for 35 days. It costs $32 a day for me to stay there. $10 for food and $22 for lodging (which includes a roof, tv, wireless internet, indoor plumbing AND air conditioning!) I'm asking that people sponsor me one day at a time. I've had 18 days pledged thus far! I have 17 that need to be paid for (and, um, airfare, which isn't cheap either. $567 round trip). 

If you would like to support me and my trip to see these MARVELOUS children, you can make a check out to my momma, Stacy Macon, and send it to my house. Email me at e-macon@hotmail.com for the address. 

Also, I plan on blogging the whole trip, so you should get a nice account of my trip!

God is great, isn't he? 

Okay, now, 17 days my friends! 17 days!!

1 comment:

  1. Such sweet looking children! It's really heartwarming that they look so happy even after all they've been through, and even more heartwarming to know that you'll be going to spend time with them and make them even happier. I'm glad I'll get to be a part of it!! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you honestly expect me to blog more. Comment. Trust me.