Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What Will I Write On Her Arms, After All?

It amazes me sometimes to see just how God speaks to me. Today was an awful day for me. Everything felt fuzzy; my brain was FILLED with static. I will dare say that it was the devil trying to keep me from hearing from God. But that's not the point. Today was To Write Love On Her Arms Day. I spent quite a bit of time working on my "Love" on my arms. Thousands of people wrote "love" on their arms today to stand against depression, cutting, and suicide. To promote love and community and togetherness.



Later that day, I'm standing in the bathroom listening to my friends talk. They had all celebrated with me, and as we were in there talking, each of them mentioned where they would cut: wrists, stomach, legs, etc. God began to speak to me then. I looked around and thought "They are really hurting" something inside them HURTS and it just ACHES for something to come and heal them.

God took that thought, and posed a question "What will you write on her arms?"

What if we could see the impact we made on everyone? Written out, plain as day. What if our effects on people showed up as writing on our arms? What would I be writing? Anything at all? Would I be writing pain or confusion? Or would I be writing healing and love?

How would our actions be different if everything we did showed up as writing? If we could see it and everyone would know "That's the impact that Emily made". Would it change our actions? Would we still treat people like we do? Would we still be as passive, and continue leaving the bad words and the hurt on her arms?

3 comments:

  1. That's really an amazing thought, Emily. If people could actually see the damage that their words and actions do to others, the world would be a much better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Love it Ily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this, and I am now thinking back on that convo. in the potty house.

    ReplyDelete

If you honestly expect me to blog more. Comment. Trust me.